Lossiemouth

Steam

Drifters

Compiled by

Captain Alex S Buchan

INS 1 WELLAND Official Number 124407.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad, Lowestoft, in 1906.

Built for Waveney Steam Drifter Co Ltd of Lowestoft as LT 643.

Tonnage 87 gross tons, 38 tons net, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 82.0' x 18.7' x 8.6'.

Later owners 1914, to CA Hay and J Mitchell, Lossiemouth as INS 1.

Final fate Scrapped in 1929.

INS 4 VIGILANT Official Number 124424.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft, in 1907.

Built for ET Capps and WJ Turrell, Lowestoft as LT 1025.

Tonnage 87 gross tons, 37 tons net, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 in triple (Chambers).

Dimensions 84.3' x 19.5 'x 9.1'.

Later owners 1914, to CA Hay, R Farquhar J Adam, W Cormack, J Mitchell, of Lossiemouth as INS 4.

Final fate Condemned in 1923.

INS 5 ENTERPRISING Official Number 132167.

Material Wood.

Built by Herd and McKenzie of Findochty in 1914.

Built for G Smith, Buckie, as BCK 187.

Tonnage 98 gross tons, 41 tons net, 36 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple, (Lewis)

re-engined in 1923 with a 16 inch triple (Chambers).

Dimensions 92.4' x 19.2' x 9.5'.

Later owner 1923, to John Adam, Elgin and R Farquhar, Lossiemouth,

as INS 5.

1936, to T&P Paterson and W Swanston of Eyemouth,

as BK 63

1945, to G Stephen of Fraserburgh as FR 26.

Final fate Scrapped 1950.


INS 11 PITGAVENY Official Number 127514.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1909.

Built for P Smith and W Reid of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 88 gross tons, 29 tons net, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound, (Shields Engineering Co).

Dimensions 82.2' x 18.5' x 8.7'

Later owner 1925, to J&A Mair Portknockie, as BF 151.

Final fate Stranded on Gorleston Beach and condemned in November 1936. Refloated, towed home but too badly damaged to repair, and scrapped in Charlestown, Fife in 1937. Scrap price was 240.

INS 19 FAIRY HILL Official Number 111051.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1900.

Built for their own 'numerical' fleet as "One", YH 463.

Tonnage 84 gross tons, 29 tons net, 24 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound, (Grey).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.6' x 8.6'.

Later owner 1914, to Wm Waters of Wick as Fairy Hill, WK 757

1929, to J Edwards, Lossiemouth as INS 19.

Final fate Scrapped 1935.

INS 21 COVESEA Official Number 127513.

Material Steel.

Built by A Hall of Aberdeen in 1909.

Built for A Campbell, Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 94 gross tons, 37 tons net, 37 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Hall).

Dimensions 86.5' x 18.7' x 9.0'.

Later owner 1919, to W Gardiner of Cullen renamed Deliverer, BF 67

1945, to John Pirie, of Portknockie.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951.


INS 30 EVERARD Official Number 124443.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1907.

Built for W Greaves, A Gouldby, T Utting of Kessingland, as LT 1037.

Tonnage 82 gross tons, 34 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk)

Dimensions 83.7' x 18.7' x 8.6'.

Later owners 1914, to CA Hay, W Cordiner and W Farquhar of Lossiemouth as INS 30.

Final fate Sunk in collision off Tusker Rock, when in Royal Navy service,15 Jan 1916.

INS 31 LAICH O' MORAY Official Number 127519.

Material Wood.

Built by Main of Hopeman in 1909.

Built for D Main of Hopeman.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 32 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 84.2' x 19.3' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1911, to P Murray and W Edwards of Lossiemouth

1920, to R Stephen of Cairnbulg as FR 37

1924, same owners, renamed Rushing Water

1932, to JB Duthie of Cairnbulg,

renamed Launch Out, FR 37.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 33 MARGERY Official Number 111086.

Material Wood.

Built by Gibbs, Galmpton of Devon in 1901.

Built for JH Dyson of Yarmouth as YH 571.

Tonnage 64 gross tons, 31 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 15 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 76.2' x 18.1' x 7.9'.

Later owners 1907, to R Johnstone of Cockenzie, as LH 158

1909, to J Souter and G Garden of Lossiemouth, as INS 33

1919, to G Murray of Buckie, as BCK 315

1923, to John Wood of Portknockie

1924, to D McLachlan of Buckie

1929, to Wm Craig of Rothesay for use as a herring carrier

Final fate Scrapped in 1931.

INS 35 PRUDOE CASTLE Official Number 109896.

Material Wood.

Built by Union Co-op Ship Building Co Ltd of Blyth in 1898.

Built for R Irvine, Junior of North Shields as SN 261.

Tonnage 84 gross tons, 40 net tons, 33 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Tweedy of North Shields).

Dimensions 91.0' x 18.4' x 9.3.

Later owners 1908, to John Reid of Lossiemouth as INS 35.

Final fate Wrecked in Brunaherie Bay, Donegal, on 20 Jan 1911.

INS 36 BRAELOSSIE Official Number 111091.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1901.

Built for their own 'Numerical' fleet as "Seventeen", YH 607.

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 33 net tons, 22 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McColl and Pollock of Sunderland).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.0' x 8.2'.

Later owners 1914, to W Cormack and A Farquhar of Lossie, renamed

Braelossie INS 36.

1920, to the Admiralty.

Final fate Became a coal hulk and scrapped in the early 1930's.

INS 45 SUCCESS Official Number 102013.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers and Colby of Lowestoft in 1899.

Built for CA Hay, J Reid and P Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 61 gross tons, 25 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 12 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 68.8' x 17.2' x 7.7.

Later owners 1906, to James Phimister of Findochty as BF 120.

Final fate Scrapped in 1924.

INS 50 G.M.B. Official Number 127515.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1909.

Built for G McLeod and W Gault of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 93 gross tons, 39 net tons, 28 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 86' x 18.1' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1920, to J Flett and Wm Smith of Lossiemouth

1922, to A Keay of Fleetwood as FD 422

1926, to A Mair of Portknockie, renamed L'Industrie as BF73

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 52 MON AMI Official Number 111078.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1901.

Built for their own 'Numerical' fleet as "Ten", as YH545.

Tonnage 77 gross tons, 33 net tons, 22 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McColl and Pollock of Sunderland).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.0' x 8.2.

Later owners 1909, to G Farquhar of Lossiemouth,

renamed Mon Ami INS 52.

1916, to CH George of Caister as YH 178.

1919, to D&R Dougal, W&R Cowe and R Irvine Ltd of Eyemouth

Final fate Foundered 9 miles E by N of Berwick on 4 July 1922.

INS 57 CRAIGMOUNT Official Number 132798.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1914.

Built for A Mitchell and A&T Slater of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 80 gross tons, 33 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Plenty of Newburgh).

Dimensions 87.8' x 19.0' x 8.6'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1933.

INS 59 DON PEDRO Official Number 138968.

Material Steel.

Built by Scott of Bowling in 1914.

Built for on spec.

Tonnage 67 gross tons, 37 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 15 inch compound (Menzies).

Dimensions 72.1' x 17.6' x 7.6'.

Later owners 1916, to C Jeffs of Grimsby as GY 906

1917, same owner as YH 441

1924, to A Bruce of Portknockie

1925, to A Kinnaird of Lossiemouth as INS 59.

1928, to Sentinel Industrial Locomotives of London.

Final fate Scrapped in 1929.


INS 61 BRAEHEAD Official Number 132794.

Material Wood.

Built by Rose Street of Inverness in 1914.

Built for A&J Main of Hopeman.

Tonnage 84 gross tons, 34 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Rose Street).

Dimensions 87.2' x 18.6' x 9.1'.

Later owners 1927, to James Smith of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 65 CALEDONIA Official Number 137645.

See also INS 174 CALEDONIA

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1919.

Built for W Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 81 gross tons, 35 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk),

see also INS 174, Caledonia.

Dimensions 86.6' x 19.5' x 8.5.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1934.

INS 71 PRIDE O' MORAY Official Number 127598.

Material Wood.

Built by John Stephen of Banff in 1909.

Built for J&P Stewart of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 50 gross tons, 19 tons net, 14 nominal horse power.

Engine 14 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 76.6' x 17.4' x 7.6'.

Later owners 1931, to Mrs C Moffat of Bigton, Shetland as LK 97.

Final fate Scrapped in 1947.

INS 77 HYSSOP Official Number 117510.

Material Steel.

Built by Ritchie, Graham and Milne of Glasgow in 1903.

Built for G Findlay of Cullen as BF 1277.

Tonnage 88 gross tons, 32 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 14 inch compound (Campbell and Caldwell of Paisley).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.1' x 8.0'.

Later owners 1925, to G Garden of Lossie as INS 77.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 84 GIRL ISOBEL Official Number 137666.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1925.

Built for John Flett of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 96 ton gross, 40 tons net, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles,Suffolk),

see also INS 430.

Dimensions 88.0' x 19.5' x 9.2.

Later owners 1936, to W Jack of Fras'b'gh, renamed Jeannie Jack FR 244

1938, to A Watt of Gamrie renamed Kilmany as BF 448

1945, to Supreme Fish Curing Co of Fleetwood

1948, to AW Easto of Lowestoft as LT 90.

Final fate Scrapped in 1952.

INS 97 GOWAN CRAIG Official Number 137641.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1915.

Built for J Smith and G Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 82 gross tons, 34 tons net, 36 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Clyne and Mitchell).

Dimensions 83.3' x 19.0' x 8.6'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Fished until 1946.

INS 100 and 120 MARY THOMSON Official Number 131257.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of Middlesborough in 1910.

Built for G Thomson of Lossiemouth as INS 100.

Tonnage 76 gross tons, 28 tons net, 29 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Shields Eng Co of N Shields).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.7' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1925, to G&E Thomson of Wick as WK 43

1934, to John Stewart of Lossiemouth, renamed

Primrose Bay as INS 120

1945, to G&R Wood of Aberdeen as PD 181

1947, to W Buchan of Peterhead.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951.


INS 102 FLOWER O' MORAY Official Number 127504.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for W Stewart and A Wood of Lossiemouth as INS 584.

Tonnage 84 gross tons, 35 net tons, 24 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 87.6' x 19.5' x 8.9'.

Later owners 1925, to Wm Thomson of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Wrecked at the entrance to Lossiemouth Harbour in 1935.

INS 110 J.A.C. Official Number 131252.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of Middlesborough in 1910.

Built for R Cordiner of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 28 tons net, 29 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Shields Eng Co).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.7' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1923, to J Smith of Portessie, renamed Maggie Smith BCK 11

1932, to John Cowie of Buckie, renamed Lovena.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 112 LOCH-NA-BO Official Number 131254.

Material Wood.

Built by Wm Wood and Son of Lossiemouth in 1910.

Built for CA Hay, J&AW Campbell of Lossiemouth, and A Adam of Elgin.

Tonnage 76 gross tons, 31 tons net, 30 nomimal horse power.

Engine 16 compound (Plenty of Newburgh).

Dimensions 82.8' x 18.8' x 8.5'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 113 THYRSUS Official Number 131251.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1910.

Built for J&A Mitchell and J Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 75 gross tons, 36 net tons, 31 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 85.7' x 18.8' x 8.6'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Wrecked at the entrance to Lossiemouth Harbour

on 19 March 1919.

INS 115 COULARD BANK Official Number 131246.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1910.

Built for W Crockett of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 91 gross tons, 37 net tons, 31 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 84.3' x 18.1' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1913, to J Murray of Buckie as BCK 144

1932, to Wm Geddes of Buckie.

Final fate Scrapped in 1953.

INS 116 WATER BIRD III Official Number 131247.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of Middlesborough in 1910.

Built for J Smith and A Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 29 net tons, 29 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Shields Eng Co).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.7' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1927, to A Sutherland of Findochty, renamed Rosecraig

as BCK 217

1945, to C Baird of Peterhead as PD 127.

Final fate Scrapped in 1950.

INS 120 CAROL AND DOROTHY Official Number 118879.

NOTE See INS 100, the Mary Thomson.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1905.

Built for P Smith, B Scott and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 89 gross tons, 37.net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles,Suffolk).

Dimensions 86.5' x 18.4' x 9.1'.

Later owners 1919, to Marine Recovery of Penzance to become the salvage vessel Recoverer.

Final fate Condemned in 1932.


INS 124 DAIRLIE Official Number 131249.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of Middlesborough in 1910.

Built for G, P, J&J Stewart of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 28 net tons, 29 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Shields Eng Co of North Shields)

Dimensions 80.7' x 18.7' x 8.7'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 125 LOSSIE Official Number 146481.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by Colby Brothers of Oulton Broad in 1918 (18.10.18).

Built for The Admiralty as HMD Node.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 35 net tons, 34 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Pollitt and Widgzell of Sowerby Bridge).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.1'.

Later owners 1922, to Kingston SD Co of Hull renamed Tigers Eye H 577.

1924, to WJ Allan of Grimsby as GY 60

1932, to Jas Flett and J Smith of Lossiemouth,

renamed Lossie as INS 125

1935, to A Duthie and Co Ltd of Lossiemouth and

G Summers of Fraserburgh, renamed Golden View as FR 44

1945, to BF Parkes of Fleetwood (did not fish, was not converted following national service)

1948, to R Reid and A Johnstone of Peterhead as PD 23.

Final fate Scrapped in 1954.

INS 126 MAGGIE GAULT Official Number 131241.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1910.

Built for J&W Gault of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 91 gross tons, 38 net tons, 33 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 86.0' x 18.5' x 8.9'.

Later owners 1936, to James Bruce of Buckie as BCK 100.

Final fate Scrapped in 1952.


INS 137 MARY FLETT Official Number 145299.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by WH Brooke of Oulton Broad in 1919.

Built for The Admiralty as HMD Low Tide.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 41 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Beardmore of Coatbridge).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5 ' x 9.3'.

Later owners 1919 completed as a fishing vessel for MAF as LT 725

1920, to H Croft Baker Ltd of Grimsby as GY 1301

1922, to Strand SF Co of Grimsby renamed Seaward

1924, to G Honorie et Cie of Boulogne renamed Ecault

1931, to J Flett of Lossiemouth renamed Mary Flett INS 137

1937, to JJ Colby of Lowestoft as LT 126

1938, same owner, renamed Loyal Friend.

Final fate Scrapped in 1956.

INS 153 BEATRICE Official Number 119395.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1905.

Built for G Spendler and ER Breach of Lowestoft as LT 389.

Tonnage 62 gross tons, 42 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 14 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk)

Dimensions 74.0' x 17.8' x 8.5'.

Later owners 1912, to CE Day and J Whittaker of Lowestoft

1926, to J Farquhar and W Stewart of Lossie as INS153.

Final fate Scrapped in 1931

INS 155 CHAMPION Official Number 118880.

Material Wood.

Built by Beeching of Yarmouth in 1906

Built for J Smith and G McKenzie of Lossiemouth

Tonnage 71 gross tons, 32 net tons, 31 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 81.2' x 18.2' x 9.2'.

Later owners 1919, to G Stewart of Lossiemouth

Final fate Wrecked at the entrance to Lossiemouth harbour in 1931.


INS 161 MORAYDALE Official Number 124444.

Material Steel.

Built by Hepple of South Shields in 1907.

Built for F Utting and John Turrell of Lowestoft as the Test, LT1048.

Tonnage 91 gross tons, 39 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Hepple of North Shields).

Dimensions 82.5' x 18.7' x 8.3'.

Later owners 1919, to Tees S&F Co Ltd of Redcar as MH 61

1926, to J Stewart of Lossiemouth, renamed

Moraydale as INS 161.

Final fate Scrapped in 1935.

INS 163 FAVOURITE Official Number 125939.

Material Steel.

Built by Mackie and Thomson of Govan in 1907.

Built for J&W Buchan of Peterhead as PD 500.

Tonnage 95 gross tons, 35 net tons, 39 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Lidgerwood and Co of Glasgow).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.0'.

Later owners 1915, chartered to the Irish Government as LY 32

1920, same owner, after war service as PD 323

1926, to W Reid and Wm Cormack of Lossiemouth as INS 163.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 163 THISTLE Official Number 124371.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth 1906.

Built for JJ&A Mitchell of Lossiemouth

Tonnage 71 gross tons, 26 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Cooper and Greig of Dundee).

Dimensions 80.7' x 18.6' x 8.4'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Wrecked in collision off Great Ormes Head when in RN service on 30 June 1915. She was then HMD Thistle IV.


INS 167 INCHBROOM Official Number 131256.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1910.

Built for G&W Slater and W&A Stewart of Lossiemouth

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 32 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis).

Dimensions 85.6' x 19.0' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1925, to WB Ritchie of Cairnbulg, renamed Caupona as FR9.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937

INS 171 FERNDALE Official Number 131260.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1910.

Built for J&J Garden of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 75 gross tons, 31 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis).

Dimensions 82.5' x 18.7' x 8.5'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Wrecked in a gale on St Annes Head, Milford Haven when in RN service on 27 Dec 1915, all hands lost.

INS 171 GOLDEN GRAIN Official Number 132183.

also DARNAWAY

Material Wood.

Built by Rose Street of Inverness in 1918.

Built for G Murray of Buckie as BCK 235.

Tonnage 94 gross tons, 40 net tons, 40 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Rose Street).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.8' x 9.0'.

Later owners 1926, to G Stewart of Lossiemouth as INS 171

1934, to A Duthie and Co Ltd of Lossiemouth renamed Darnaway.

Final fate Scrapped in 1949 at Peterhead.

INS 173 LOCH SPYNIE Official Number 131259

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1910.

Built for J&G Stewart of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 80 gross tons, 33 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis).

Dimensions 83.9' x 19.2' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1931, to G Smith of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.

INS 174 CALEDONIA Official Number 124373

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1906.

Built for P&P Murray of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 87 gross tons, 37 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 82.2' x 19.5' x 9.2'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Broken up in Lossie in 1919, engine and boiler removed and refitted to Caledonia INS 65.

INS 177 FLUSH Official Number 137658

Material Wooden Standard.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1920.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Flush.

Tonnage 97 gross tons, 41 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Cooper and Greig of Dundee).

Dimensions 87.4' x 19.6' x 9.6'.

Later owners 1920, completed as a fishing drifter for FBS

1921, to D Main of Nairn as INS 177

1937, to H Gowans of St Monance as KY 184

1945, to WJ Taylor of Fleetwood as FD 48.

Final fate Scrapped in 1952.

INS 181 GOWANBRAE Official Number 124372.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1906.

Built for J Smith and G Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 81 gross tons, 36 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Cooper and Greig of Dundee).

Dimensions 83.3' x 19.0' x 8.6'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.


INS 189 WINDFALL Official Number 139819.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by A Hall of Aberdeen in 1920.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Windfall.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 40 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Hall).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.2'.

Later owners Completed as a fishing vessel on 31 Aug 1920, to FBS

1921, to J Campbell of Lossiemouth as INS 189

1927, to D McIver Ltd of Stornoway as SY 567.

Final fate Scrapped in 1955.

INS 207 BRANDERBURGH Official Number 131265.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1911.

Built for J&J Flett and W Cormack of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 33 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Plenty of Newburgh).

Dimensions 88.6' x 19.1' x 8.4'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Wrecked at the entrance to Lossiemouth Harbour

on 10 Feb 1933.

INS 210 ISCO Official Number 127133.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1907.

Built for Isaac Spencer and Co Ltd of Aberdeen, as A 166.

Tonnage 100 gross tons, 42 net tons, 28 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.2' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1911, to W Bruce and E Souter of Lossiemouth

and A Adam of Elgin as INS 210

1925, to J Innes of Buckie, renamed Abiding, BCK 449.

Final fate Scrapped in 1937.


INS 229 CUDWEED Official Number 132779.

Material Wood.

Built by Stephen of Banff in 1911.

Built for A Souter and J&A Reid of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 68 gross tons, 32 net tons, 26 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Miller and McGee, of Glasgow).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.0' x 8.1'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Foundered off Wick in about 1923, while under tow by

SD Marigold INS 478.

INS 230 CORAL HILL Official Number 132775.

Material Wood.

Built by Stephen of Banff in 1911.

Built for W&J McLeod and W Cormack of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 56 gross tons, 26 net tons, 26 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Miller and Mc Gee of Glasgow).

Dimensions 78.7' x 17.5' x 8.0'.

Later owners 1919, to D McLennan of Stornoway, as SY 48.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 231 CRAIGLYNNE Official Number 125318.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1908.

Built for J Duthie of Inverallochy, as Clarion FR 271.

Tonnage 100 gross tons, 42 net tons, 28 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 86.5' x 18.2' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1919, to Wm Wood of Portknockie as BF 95

1931, to W Stewart of Lossie, renamed Craiglynn INS 231.

Final fate Scrapped in 1936.


INS 240 VALE O' MORAY Official Number 132773.

Material Steel.

Built by Hall of Aberdeen in 1911.

Built for J&J Fleet of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 89 gross tons, 38 net tons, 39 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Hall).

Dimensions 86.9' x 18.6' x 9.0'.

Later owners 1920, to R Curphy of Peel, Isle of Man as PL 43.

1927, to C Stephen Inverallochy, renamed Stephens FR 292

1945, to AJ Mitchell of Fraserburgh

A Strachan of Peterhead, renamed Devotion PD 217.

Final fate Scrapped in 1955.

INS 243 MARY SLATER Official Number 132777.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1911.

Built for James Slater and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 33 net tons, 26 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Plenty of Newburgh)

Dimensions 83.7' x 19.1' x 8.4'.

Later owners 1926, to W Murray of Lossiemouth

1932, to John Mitchell of Lossiemouth, renamed Hillocks.

Final fate Laid up in Muirton Basin, Inverness. Scrapped in 1936.

INS 247 GRANT HAY Official Number 132778.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1911.

Built for W Smith and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 77 gross tons, 32 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Dunn of Lossiemouth).

Dimensions 86.5' x 19.1' x 8.4'.

Later owners ?? part sold to T Main and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Scrapped in 1933.


INS 248 NORTHERN SCOT Official Number 132776.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1911.

Built for J Reid and John Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 90 gross tons, 38 net tons, 31 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 84.0' x 18.1' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1919, to A Craig of Torry as A 225

1924, to P Buchan of St Combes as FR14

1945, to GR Wood of Aberdeen as PD 151.

Final fate Scrapped in 1952.

INS 249 UNICORN Official Number 104195.

Material Iron.

Built by Edwards of North Shields in 1895.

Built for J&F Mackrill of Grimsby as a trawler, GY 746.

Tonnage 126 gross tons, 46 net tons, 40 nominal horse power.

Engine 21 inch triple (NE Marine of Sunderland).

Dimensions 90.7' x 20.1' x 10.6'.

Later owners 1907, to G Campbell of Lossiemouth, as drifter INS 249

1920, to Milford Haven

1921, sold abroad to Spain.

Final fate Foundered in early 1922.

INS 251 GUIDE ME Official Number 93020.

Material Wood.

Built by Forbes and Birnie of Peterhead in 1901.

Built for G Murray of Lossiemouth, WH Leask of Peterhead as PD 415.

Tonnage 79 gross tons, 28 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Hall).

Dimensions 86.2' x 19.5' x 8.6'.

Later owners 1907, reregistered as INS 251

1911, part sold to R Irvine Ltd and G Murray of Lossie

1922, part sold to A McGee of Peterhead and R Irvine Ltd as PD 469.

Final fate Wrecked on Stroma, Pentland Firth in fog 1924.


INS 259 MARINER Official Number 124377.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1907.

Built for James Slater, J Smith and Wm Slater of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 88 gross tons, 33 net tons, 34 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 88.0' x 18.6' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1919, to A Mitchell of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Burned out and condemned in April 1930.

INS 262 FAITHFUL Official Number 124378.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for J Crockett of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 80 gross tons, 30 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 87.2' x 19.3' x 9.0'.

Later owners None.

Final fate In collision off Lowestoft near the Corton Light vessel, and

later beached under the High Light, Lowestoft in Nov 1909.

INS 291 OCEANS GIFT Official Number 110830.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers and Colby of Oulton Broad in 1900.

Built for Lowestoft SHD Ltd as LT 387.

Tonnage 58 gross tons, 38 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 14 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 75.0' x 17.6' x 7.9'.

Later owners 1928, to D Stewart of Lossiemouth as INS 291.

Final fate Scrapped in 1933.


INS 299 BOY JACK Official Number 115542.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers and Colby of Lowestoft in 1902.

Built for SJW George of Yarmouth as YH 252.

Tonnage 60 gross tons, 39 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 12 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 76.0' x 17.9' x 8.0'.

Later owners 1910, to J Paterson of Eyemouth and Yarmouth Pitchers Ltd as BK 302

1917, to Gold Seal Fishing Co Ltd of Lowestoft as LT 189

1922, to A Gouldby of Kessingland

1928, to A Cormack and W Stewart of Lossie as INS 299.

Final fate Total loss on 12 Dec 1929, run down by SS Elgin Coast.

INS 311 BOY FRED Official Number 115054.

Material Wood.

Built by Beeching of Yarmouth in 1900.

Built for FJW Salmon of Yarmouth as YH 517.

Tonnage 58 gross tons, 30 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 15 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 75.0' x 17.7' x 8.1'.

Later owners 1907, to Wm Holkar of Yarmouth.

1927, to JTC Salmon of Yarmouth.

1928, to George Stewart of Lossiemouth as INS 311.

Final fate Scrapped in 1932.

INS 314 PACK ICE Official Number 133651.

Material Wooden Standard.

Built by G Smith of Buckie on 22 Oct 1918.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Pack Ice.

Tonnage 94 gross tons, 42 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Yeaman and Baggeson of Dundee).

Dimensions 86.7' x 19.8' x 10.0'.

Later owners 1920, to FBS

1920, to P Murray of Lossiemouth, renamed Murray Clan

as INS 314, having had herring holds fitted by Wood & Co

1925, to AJ&W Buchan of Peterhead, renamed Utilise, PD 17

1945, to WP Duthie of Peterhead.

Final fate Scrapped in 1954.


INS 315 BRAVO Official Number 106651.

Material Iron.

Built by Earles Co Ltd of Hull in 1896.

Built for Ocean SF Co Ltd of Grimsby as a trawler GY 45.

Tonnage 137 gross tons, 44 net tons, 45 nominal horse power.

Engine 21 inch triple (Earles).

Dimensions 93.6' x 20.7' x 10.4'.

Later owners 1908, to A Adam, G Stewart and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.,

converted to a drifter, as INS 315

1910. to G Wood of Torry, sailed as a liner as A 308.

Final fate Foundered in the North Sea in Jan 1927.

INS 317 SUNSPOT Official Number 137654.

Material Wooden Standard.

Built by Herd and McKenzie of Findochty on 13 Nov 1920.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Sunspot.

Tonnage 100 gross tons, 42 net tons, 34 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Cooper and Greig of Dundee).

Dimensions 87.0' x 20.0' x 10.1'.

Later owners Completed as fishing vessel for FBS

1921, to W Farquhar of Lossiemouth as INS 317

1938, to G Watt of Gamrie, renamed Mary Johnstone as BF15.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951

INS 318 VIKING Official Number 111071.

Material Wood.

Built by Beeching of Yarmouth in 1900.

Built for Pitchers Ltd of Yarmouth as YH 309.

Tonnage 69 gross tons, 32 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Shields Eng Co).

Dimensions 77.3' x 17.6' x 8.5'.

Later owners 1919, to RC Nicholls of Yarmouth

1922, to JW Green, Pitchers Ltd of Yarmouth

1923 to Wm Smith of Yarmouth

1926, to CD Leech of Winterton

1927, to HR Holmes of Yarmouth

1928, to Wm Stewart of Lossiemouth as INS 318.

Final fate Scrapped in 1930.


INS 319 BEGONIA Official Number 125403.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood and Son of Lossiemouth in 1907.

Built for W Campbell and J&A Cameron of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 91 gross tons, 30 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 84.6' x 19.3' x 8.8'.

Later owners Owned in 1920 by J Campbell, J Souter

and John Stewart of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 325 AIVERN Official Number 127315

Material Wood.

Built by Innes of Macduff in 1910.

Built for A Wood of Portknockie as BF 179.

Tonnage 72 gross tons, 30 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Menzies of Leith. ).

Dimensions 84.0' x 18.4' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1914, to A Cormack, W Farquhar and A Stewart of Lossiemouth as INS 325.

Final fate Sunk in the Western Approaches to the English Channel, homeward bound from Malta on RN service, 8 Dec 1917.

INS 326 SUBLIME Official Number 125404.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood and Son of Lossiemouth in 1907.

Built for John Campbell and George McKenzie of Lossiemouth

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 31 net tons, 35 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Gauld and Gillespie of Glasgow).

Dimensions 84.4' x 18.6' x 8.4'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Foundered off Strathy Point in 1920.

INS 348 ROOSEVELT Official Number 125406.

Material Steel.

Built by G Brown of Greenock in.1907.

Built for GT Scott and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 97 gross tons, 37 net tons, 35 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (White and Hemphill of Greenock).

Dimensions 86.0' x 18.1' x 8.4'.

Later owners 1926, to J Bremner of Wick as WK 21.

Final fate Scrapped in 1929, owner became bankrupt, sold for scrap
.

INS 351 ONWARD Official Number 115046.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1902.

Built for CE Day of Kirkley as LT 907.

Tonnage 63 gross tons, 32 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 14 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 79.4' x 18.2' x 8.0'.

Later owners 1912, to A Cordiner of Peterhead as PD 40

1928, to James Smith of Lossiemouth as INS 351.

Final fate Foundered in the Moray Firth on 9 Dec 1930.

INS 353 BERYL Official Number 125407.

Also EMERGENCY

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1907.

Built for W Smith and John Gault of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 81 gross tons, 30 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 84.2' x 18.7' x 8.5'.

Later owners 1919, part-sold to A Adam, Elgin and W Gault, Lossiemouth.

1927, to D Gault of Lossiemouth, renamed Emergency.

Final fate Scrapped in 1932.

INS 365 DRAINIE Official Number 137606.

Material Wooden Standard.

Built by W Noble of Fraserburgh in 1919.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Mackerel Sky, as a fishing vessel

Tonnage 92 gross tons, 33 net tons, 41 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Beardmore of Coatbridge).

Dimensions 87.7' x 19.7' x 9.7'.

Later owners 1921, to MW Stewart and P Souter of Lossiemouth and renamed Drainie INS 365.

1926, to A Slater and W Campbell of Lossiemouth

1945, to JT Gatt of Fraserburgh, renamed Headway FR 37.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951.


INS 368 STAR O' MORAY Official Number 122793.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1906.

Built for CE Day of Kirkley as Gladys LT 487.

Tonnage 69 gross tons, 38 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 82.8' x 18.8' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1913, to D Ralph of Nairn as INS 368

??, to A Cormack and Wm Stewart of Lossiemouth

renamed Star O' Moray INS 365.

Final fate Became a total loss on 8 April 1931.

INS 391 SAPPHIRE Official Number 125409.

Material Steel.

Built by Mackie and Thomson of Govan in 1907.

Built for J&D Gault of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 95 gross tons, 35 net tons, 39 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Lidgerwood and Co of Glasgow).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.1'.

Later owners 1925 to Wm Innes of Portknockie as BF 117.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 401 GLENGYNACK Official Number 125410.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1907.

Built for J Campbell and W Corstorphine of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 91 gross tons, 41 net tons, 26 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Abernethy and Co of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 84.0' x 18.1' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1934, to JB West and John Ralph of Burghead, renamed

Rose Isle

1945, to RB Ritchie of Inverallochy as FR 357.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951.


INS 403 BELLONA Official Number 125411.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1907.

Built for A Slater and S Smith of Lossiemouth

Tonnage 82 gross tons, 33 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis).

Dimensions 84.6 x 18.7' x 8.5'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1934.

INS 405 UBEROUS Official Number 125408.

Material Steel.

Built by Eltringham of South Shields in 1907.

Built for W Stewart and W Garden of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 97 gross tons, 40 net tons, 20 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Baird Brothers of North Shields).

Dimensions 86.0' x 18.6' x 8.6'.

Later owners 1920, to P Hancock of Milford Haven as M 87

1920, to Spain.

Final fate Scrapped in the 1950's.

INS 422 ANNIE SMITH Official Number 125412.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1907.

Built for J Smith and J Liebnitz of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 84 gross tons, 35 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Wm Burrell and Co of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 84.0' x 18.6' x 8.6'.

Later owners None

Final fate Sunk in collision off the Lundy Isles when in RN service on 9 April 1918.

INS 430 SCOTSMAN Official Number 125414.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1907.

Built for J Mitchell and J Scott of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 88 gross tons, 30 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 84.7' x 19.5' x 9.1'.

Later owners 1919, to G McLeod of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Broken up in Lossiemouth in 1925, engine and boiler fitted to Girl Isobel INS 84.


INS 432 GRATITUDE Official Number 125416.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for J&P Murray of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 85 gross tons, 36 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 87.8' x 19.1' x 9.0'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Was in collision, then stranded on Holme Sand, off Lowestoft in Nov 1910.

INS 433 EMBLEM Official Number 125417.

Material Wood.

Built by Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1907.

Built for G Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 85 gross tons, 35 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Wm Burrell and Co of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 85.0' x 18.8' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1919, to Cooper's Drifters Ltd of Lowestoft as LT 735

1924, R Copeland and J Ewan of North Shields

1932, to J Melrose of North Shields

1937, to a Newcastle salvage firm.

Final fate Foundered in the River Tyne in 1944,wreck disposed of.

INS 451 GUIDE ON Official Number 137644.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1917.

Built for CA Hay, A Slater and J Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 88 gross tons, 37 net tons, 36 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Clyne and Mitchell of Aberdeen).

Dimensions 87.0' x 19.3' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1937, to A West and J Flett of Findochty as BCK 112.

Final fate Scrapped in 1946.


INS 470 CHARLES HAY Official Number 127491.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in. 1907 as "Utopia".

Built for Jn, "Stretchie" A&W Stewart, and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Dimensions 85.8' x 18.7' x 8.2'.

Tonnage 75 gross tons, 31 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis Clyne in report).

Later owners None.

Final fate Became a total loss off East Anglia on 14 Nov 1930.

INS 474 NELLIE Official Number 102015.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1903.

Built for A Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 34 net tons, 22 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McColl and Pollock of Sunderland).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.1' x 8.2'.

Later owners 1905, to A Minty of Macduff as BF 760

1918, to Marine Mercantile Co Ltd of London as FR 760

1921, to Glendrift Ltd of London as LT 1221.

Final fate Sold to Holland in 1923.

INS 477 ICEFLOW Official Number 146053.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by Hall of Aberdeen in 1919, completed as a fishing vessel.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Iceflow.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 41 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Hall).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.2'.

Later owners 1919, to MAF as LT 733

1920, to G McKenzie of Lossiemouth as INS 477

1923, to G&W Murray of Buckie renamed Sunny Bird BCK 68

1932, to A, J, and W Buchan of Peterhead as PD 86

1945, to Looker Fishing Co Ltd of Aberdeen as A 571

1948, to Locarno Fishing Co Ltd of Lowestoft as LT 305.

Final fate Scrapped in 1956.


INS 478 MARIGOLD Official Number 146056.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by A Hall of Aberdeen in 1918.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Iceberg.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 41 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Hall).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.2'.

Later owners 1919, to MAF as LT 622

1921, to J Campbell of Lossiemouth and JR Hamilton of Elgin renamed Marigold as INS 478

1927, to A&A Duncan of Peterhead as PD 81

1945, to Looker Fishing Co Ltd of Aberdeen as A 573

1946, to J&T Buchan of Peterhead as PD 124.

Final fate Scrapped in 1952.

INS 493 VENTURE Official Number 102017.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers and Colby of Lowestoft in 1902.

Built for J Flett and J Mitchell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 58 gross tons, 39 net tons, 15 nominal horse power.

Engine 12 inch compound (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 76.2' x 17.9' x 8.0'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Wrecked at the entrance to Lossiemouth harbour in 1909.

INS 500 ARNDILLY CASTLE Official Number 127495.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for A Souter and J Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 32 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 86.0' x 18.7' x 8.5'.

Later owners 1919, to R Scott and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Final fate Foundered in a SSE breeze in Bridlington Bay, 25 Nov 1924.


INS 504 SPYNIE CASTLE Official Number 127469.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1908.

Built for J&W Cormack of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 83 gross tons, 37 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Dimensions 84.8' x 19.5' x 9.1'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Was burned out in Lossiemouth harbour in about 1915.

INS 522 LADY HILL Official Number ???

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth as a Zulu in 1903.

Built for Henry Garden and George Wood of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 59.9 gross tons, net tons not recorded, 10 nominal horse power, then 14.

Engine 10 inch compound (John Dunn of Lossiemouth).

Dimensions 80.0' x 20.4' x 8.0' (68' keel).

Later owners See later.

Final fate Lost at the entrance to Lossiemouth harbour, 30 Nov 1915.

INS 540 CRAIGLEA Official Number 145544.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by Ouse Ship Building Co Ltd of Hook Goole in 1919.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Rainband.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 37 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Pollitt and Widgzell of Sowerby Bridge).

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.2'.

Later owners 1920, to FBS

1920, to RJ&D Smith of Newhaven, renamed Craiglea, LH 270

1922, to D Gault of Lossiemouth as INS 540

1930, to CV Eastick of Gorleston as YH 81

1948, to Associated Trawlers Ltd of Yarmouth

1950, to Beazer and Hayhoe Ltd of Yarmouth

1952, to Miss R Eastick of Gorleston.

Final fate Scrapped in 1955.


INS 546 FORTITUDE Official Number 102020.

Material Steel.

Built by Selby Shipbuilding and Engineering Co of Selby in 1903.

Built for A&W Cormack of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 86 gross tons, 31 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 80.5' x 18.1' x 8.7'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Foundered in the Moray Firth in 1925.

INS 548 CARMI Official Number 102019.

Material Steel.

Built by Selby Shipbuilding and Engineering Co of Selby in 1903.

Built for P&G Smith of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 86 gross tons, 31 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 80.5' x 18.1' x 8.7'.

Later owners 1916, to James Findlay of Cullen as BF 286

1919, to JV Breach Ltd of Lowestoft as LT 567.

Final fate Scrapped in 1927.

INS 551 COULARD HILL Official Number 127500.

Material Wood.

Built by Wood of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for J Stewart and CA Hay of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 86 gross tons, 36 net tons, 32 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (McKie and Baxter of Glasgow).

Dimensions 87.2' x 19.3' x 9.0'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Scrapped in 1939.

INS 553 GLEN URQUHART Official Number 127502.

Material Wood.

Built by Slater of Lossiemouth in 1908.

Built for W Slater of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 76 gross tons, 31 net tons, 27 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lewis).

Dimensions 87.4' x 19.3' x 8.3'.

Later owners None.

Final fate Lost in collision on 13 July 1932.


INS 557 SUBLIME Official Number 118875.

Material Steel.

Built by Duthie of Torry in 1903.

Built for J Gault of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 86 gross tons, 33 net tons, 30 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lidgerwood and Co of Glasgow).

Dimensions 81.3' x 18.1' x 8.8'.

Later owners 1906, to G Wood of Portknockie as BF 446

1945, to F Slater of Portknockie.

Final fate Scrapped in 1951.

INS 558 CORYPHAENA Official Number 118879.

Material Steel.

Built by Mackie and Thomson of Govan in 1903.

Built for W Farquhar of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 92 gross tons, 35 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Lidgerwood and Co of Glasgow).

Dimensions 82.4' x 18.0' x 8.8.'

Later owners 1919, to J McLeod of Lossiemouth

1927, to A Mair of Portknockie, renamed Flowerdale as BF 5.

Final fate Scrapped in 1938.

INS 571 BLACKBIRD Official Number 104181

Material Iron.

Built by Earles Co Ltd of Hull in 1894.

Built for Pioneer Fishing Co Ltd of Grimsby as a trawler, GY 635.

Tonnage 150 gross tons, 45 net tons, 45 nominal horse power.

Engine 21 inch triple (Earles).

Dimensions 94.0' x 20.7' x 10.6'.

Later owners 1908, to R&W Smith of Lossiemouth, converted to a

drifter as INS 571

1913, to C Bjelland and Co of Stavanger, renamed Hillevag

1917, renamed Sardinen

1930, lengthened to 122.0' x 20.7' x 13.0'

1946, same owners, fitted with 6 cylinder Haldorsen diesel.

Final fate She fished until the mid 1970's.


INS 573 VINE Official Number 118876.

Material Steel.

Built by Smiths Dock of North Shields in 1904.

Built for J&J Flett of Lossiemouth.

Tonnage 77 gross tons, 28 net tons, 22 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (McColl and Pollock of Sunderland).

Dimensions 80.0' x 18.0' x 8.3'.

Later owners 1912, to D Parker of Cellardyke as KY 127

1919, to C Cowe of Peterhead as PD 156

1937, to T Buchan of St Combes as FR 209

1945, to C Buchan of Cairnbulg.

Final fate Scrapped in 1953.

INS 575 ETESIAN Official Number 135346.

Material Wooden Standard.

Built by Fellows of Yarmouth in 1918.

Built for The Admiralty as HMD Etesian.

Tonnage 95 gross tons, 38 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 86.3' x 19.8' x 9.7'.

Later owners 1920, to MAF

1920, to J Chinnery of Bangor North Wales as BS 26

1923, to W Flett and W Slater of Lossiemouth as INS 575

1927, to R Stephen of Cairnbulg renamed MH Stephen FR 17

1945,to JM Lovie of Fraserburgh.

Final fate Scrapped at Peterhead in 1950.

INS 578 CLACH-NA-CUDIN Official Number 127497.

Material Wood.

Built by Fellows of Yarmouth in 1908.

Built for J Cormack of Lossiemouth and Others of Avoch.

Tonnage 78 gross tons, 32 net tons, 31 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Crabtree of Yarmouth).

Dimensions 83.7' x 18.4' x 9.3'.

Later owners 1913, to J Humphrey of Portgordon as BCK 152

1921, to Fellows and Co of Yarmouth as YH 361

1927, to S Geddes and W Humphrey of Portgordon BCK 448.

Final fate Scrapped in 1933.


INS 580 GLENCORRAN Official Number 127503.

Material Wood.

Built by Chambers of Lowestoft in 1908.

Built for J Campbell of Lossiemouth.

Dimensions 84.4' x 19.6' x 9.1'.

Tonnage 86 gross tons, 38 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch triple (Elliot and Garrood of Beccles, Suffolk).

Later owners 1920, to JS MacGillivray of Macduff.

Final fate Lost on the West Coast on 27 Dec 1923.

INS 584 FLOWER O' MORAY see INS 102.

INS 586 MOYRA Official Number 139823.

Material Steel Standard.

Built by Ouse Ship Building Co Ltd of Hook Goole in 1918.

Built for Admiralty as HMD Dew.

Dimensions 86.2' x 18.5' x 9.2'.

Tonnage 96 gross tons, 41 net tons, 42 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch triple (Pollitt and Widgzell of Sowerby Bridge).

Later owners 1920, to FBS

1920, to JH Smith of Torry as A 361

1923, to John Smith of Lossiemouth, renamed Moyra, INS 586

1928, to G Duthie Fraserburgh renamed Olive Tree FR 321

1945, to Northern Trawlers Ltd of London

1949, to FE Catchpole of Lowestoft,

renamed Calm Waters as LT 407

1953, to Claridge Trawlers Ltd of Lowostoft.

Final fate Scrapped in 1954.

INS 600 BEN AIGEN Official Number 127501.

Material Steel.

Built by Mackie and Thomson of Govan in 1908.

Built for G Stewart of Lossiemouth.

Dimensions 86.4' x 18.5' x 8.8'.

Tonnage 93 gross tons, 36 net tons, 38 nominal horse power.

Engine 18 inch compound (Lidgerwood and Co of Glasgow).

Later owners 1927, to D Mair, Portknockie, renamed Sustain as BF 315

1945, to JW Stephen of Peterhead as PD281

Final fate Scrapped in 1954 in Boom, Belgium.


A History of the Lady Hill INS 522

She was built in 1903 by Wood of Lossiemouth for Henry Garden, 34 Commerce Street and George Wood, 17, Carvel Lane, Lossiemouth as a wooden Zulu-style drifter. She was first fitted with a 10 inch compound steam engine made by John Dunn of Lossiemouth, then in June and July she had a 12 inch compound steam engine fitted also by John Dunn, rated 14 nominal, and producing 65 indicated horse power. The cylinder castings were made at Newmill Ironworks of Elgin and machined at Dunn's workshop in Lossiemouth. The boiler was a single furnace type by John Wallace of Barrhead, near Glasgow, of 130 psi pressure.

To pay for the conversion, the vessel was mortgaged on 15 July 1910 to John Dunn and George Elphinstone, Engineers of Lossiemouth for 450 at 5% per annum. On 31 Mar 1910, the mortgage was transferred to the Bank of Scotland, Edinburgh.

The vessel was lost off Lossiemouth on 30 Nov 1915, and the mortgage was finally cleared on 18 June 1917.

The original 10 inch steam engine was used to drive the machinery in John Dunn's workshop through a system of shafts and pulleys for many years, until superseded by electric motors in the 1950's.

STEAM DRIFTERS HIRED AT TIMES TO LOSSIEMOUTH.

BF 392 TITANIA Official Number 123627.

Material Wood.

Built for J Duthie and G Barclay of Buckie.

Built by H Reynolds of Oulton Broad in 1906.

Tonnage 92 gross tons, 39 net tons, 25 nominal horse power.

Engine Not known.

Dimensions 86.0' x 18.7' x 9.4'.

Later owners 1913,to I Smith of Ianstown, Buckie as BCK 195

1920, to S Flett of Buckie

1931, to McFarlane Brothers Ltd of Glasgow as GW 2

a herring carrier, buying from ring netters.

Final fate Scrapped in 1946.

PD 168 KING EDWARD Official Number 111079.

Material Wood.

Built by Beeching Brothers of Yarmouth in 1901.

Built for AF Clowes of Yarmouth as YH 540.

Tonnage 63 gross tons, 36 net tons, 35 nominal horse power.

Engine 16 inch compound (Bradley).

Dimensions 79.6' x 18.1' x 8.0'.

Later owners 1909, to JE Moore of Yarmouth

1914, to JS Summers of Peterhead as PD 168

1918, to A Wood Jun of Peterhead

1920, to Northern SF Co Ltd of Peterhead

1927, to JA Beaton of Aberdeen.

Final fate Scrapped in 1931.


A 869 COUNTESS CADOGAN Official Number 104979.

Material Steel.

Built by Fullerton of Paisley as a steam lighter in 1897.

Built for Shannon Development Co Ltd of Dublin.

Tonnage 53 gross tons, 22 net tons, 14 nominal horse power.

Engine 12 inch compound (McArthur of Paisley).

Dimensions 70.0' x 14.1' x 7.3'.

Later owners 1917, to N Cook of Aberdeen, converted to

a fishing vessel as A869

Final fate Stopped fishing and scrapped in 1927 in Granton.

INS 722 BETTY INGLIS Official Number 104511.

Material Steel.

Built for G Morrice of Torry as a liner/drifter.

Built by Hall, Russell of Aberdeen in 1895.

Tonnage 109 gross tons, 44 net tons, 45 nominal horse power.

Engine 21 inch compound (Hall, Russell).

Dimensions 90.0' x 19.6' x 10.0'.

Later owners 1910, to R Melville of Cellardyke as KY 14

1916, same owner as A 455

1925, approx, to GA West of Macduff as BF 349

1934, approx, to A Reid and J Watson of Macduff.

Final fate Scrapped in 1945 on her return from war service.